I have a BSc degree in Cognitive Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh and have completed 10+ courses on relationship and dating coaching.
Also, my French charm got me through four long-term relationships and over 100 dates all over the world. So, I know it not just from the books.
I’m an expert in:
- International relationships
- Daytime and nighttime approaches to singles
- Overcoming crises in international relationships
- Using online dating sites and apps
- Reviewing online dating platforms
And frankly, 10 years of experience and being a psychology nerd gave me what it takes to teach coaching myself. But life decided the other way around…
The desire to explore the world has been a dream of mine since I read Jules Verne’s Voyages Extraordinaire as a teenager. And I just couldn’t resist the urge to broaden my horizons. That’s what inspired my trips to 33 countries, and I am not planning to stop exploring the world and international relationships.
TheTravellingFrenchMan in a few lines
- 🌴 Travel and romance blogger. I love traveling, exploring never-before-seen local spots, and learning people’s attitudes toward international romance and love.
- 💻 Digital nomad. I’m a proud Frenchman, but for the last 10 years, I’ve been the child of the world.
- ❤️ Adorer of beautiful women. Ladies are my weakness, and I consider them to be flawless. That’s why probably none of my long-term relationships ended in tying the knot.
- 🤓 Multilingual. I’m fluent in French and English and know a little bit of German and Spanish.
- 😈 Pro fun haver. I love to experience each country from the perspective of local people, and your guy also has some jazz.
The story behind the name is actually quite straightforward. My dad is British, and since I was a bilingual child from an early age, I’m honoring that in the first part of the name—”Travelling.”
🤓Nerd note: Travelling is the British spelling.
And my mom is French, so we have her to thank for “FrenchMan.”
But I’ve spent over five years in the US and am used to writing in American English. I feel like it’s more universal, as my readers are all over the world. And it also seems like I can show you my personality better through American slang (that stuck too well with me😁)
Where Have I been?
My Story: The timeline
My story starts in Nantes, where my gorgeous French mother fell in love with her British colleague, which resulted in me—Philippe, TheTravellingFrenchMan.
Nantes will always have a piece of my heart. It’s a vibrant city known for its history, artistic culture, and a beautiful mix of medieval and modern architecture. It’s also home to my favorite author, Jules Verne!
I had an amazing childhood full of art, books, and delicious food cooked by my Nana. And being a child, I already traveled a lot, as half of my family lived in the UK. Also, since I read Jules Verne’s Voyages Extraordinaire as a teenager, I was crazy about seeing the world, and I started traveling when I was 18.
My first solo trip during the summer across Europe. I’ve visited 7 countries and couldn’t stop since.
After a fair share of soul-searching, I became quite into psychology. That’s why I decided to get a degree in psychology. And in true traveler fashion, I moved across the ocean to Pittsburgh, PA, U.S.
Prime time of having fun, traveling, meeting so many interesting people across the world, and, of course, studying. I also tried a bunch of jobs, from tour guide during the summer to errand boy for one of the small Pittsburgh newspapers (they even let me write something here and there sometimes).
A hard year, it was when I broke up with my first love. We’ve been in a relationship for over five years. She was French, and during my time in college, we were doing long-distance, but things didn’t work out, which left me with a broken heart. That’s how I got interested in relationship courses. Since I am a nerd, studying is my safe place. That’s what I’ve always done. And that time, I finished four courses in a year.
My relationship coaching area. I didn’t stop learning and found myself so into relationship psychology and dating coaching. I finished many courses striving to be a dating coach. I even practiced for almost a year. But my love for travel grew stronger as I added around 15 more countries during this time span.
The global pandemic put my travel plans on hold, and I had never felt that miserable before. My work as a psychologist easily moved online, as I already had some clients around the world. So, it wasn’t a challenge. But being stuck in my apartment felt bad.
When the borders started slowly opening up, I was the first to breathe the fresh air and went on a trip all over the world that hasn’t stopped yet.
The year I decided to share my story. I always made notes for myself and wrote stories, but I always thought they were too silly and wouldn’t be interesting to anyone.
Thank God, I was mistaken! As of now, we are here in my personal blog, where you can see me on my adventures of exploring the world and finding love in it.
Come on board!
On my blog, I like to provide personal recommendations for dating sites that I’ve used and can completely vouch for.
Just so you know, I may receive referral fees for the products and services I discuss here. It’s all part of keeping things running smoothly so I can keep exploring the world and sharing my romantic discoveries with you.
But don’t worry; it has no impact on the honesty of my reviews or the things and places I recommend. I’ve got your back!
My review criteria for affiliate websites
I do my best to test the websites I get recommended by locals and those I find while doing my research about each country.
I’m very picky, and usually, only around 5% of the dating services make the cut.
My main criteria for judging are:
- Honesty. Each service must be what it says it is, and I share every pro and con I find
- Ease-of-use. I strongly believe that if the website is not easy to navigate, it isn’t worth it
- Safety. Online dating requires sharing some personal information, which is why I always thoroughly test the security and privacy of each platform as well as the safety of payment gateways
- Cost-effectiveness. I don’t believe that you need to spend a lot of money to find love online, so I consider prices for services and find options that will suit every budget
How I review
When it comes to reviewing online dating services, I have a list of criteria that I follow. This allows me to ensure that I take into account the most crucial factors for you, the online dater. Because, let’s be honest—when you use a dating service, all you want to know is whether it will help you meet a date and a potential partner.
So here are the important metrics I use when manually testing each website:
- Number of users from a particular country
- Monthly visits
- Foreign countries the website is most popular in
- Main user goals on the website
- Ease of use and navigation
- Quality of member profiles
- Verification and other safety measures
- User reply rate
- Number of dates and good conversations I get from each website
- Free-to-paid service ratio
- Cost-effectiveness of paid services
- All free trials, welcome bonuses, and freebies a new user can benefit from
But wait, there’s more! I also have my own criteria for recognizing fake dating websites. This is what I do:
- Blank profile testing. I sign up for a new website or app and keep my user profile blank for 3-5 days. If I start getting likes, winks, or messages within that period, it’s a dead giveaway that the website might have many bots or scammers.
- Give everything a fair share of googling. I look at review platforms like Trustpilot, SiteJabber, and ScamAdviser to check if there are any red flags or controversies about the website.
I want to provide as much detailed and accurate information as possible by taking into account all of these factors. So stick with me, and I’ll make sure you’re up to date on the best ways to find singles from all over the world online!