Colombian Dating Culture: All You Should Know About Dating Colombian Women & Men
As long as I can remember, I was always curious about relationships between people. At one point, the only presents that I was getting were books on psychology…thanks, friends 😉 But I believe that after doing so much research and getting my Master’s in psychology, I know a thing or two about overcoming difficulties in relationships. That’s what inspired me to explore them in different countries.
This time my destination was Colombia. The country has gorgeous tropical nature, welcoming people, vibrant music, and amazing coffee (writing this, I can still smell it!).
My trip was for around 3 weeks, and I explored so much about warm and friendly Colombian people. And, of course, I asked more than a hundred questions about Colombian dating culture. So, hop on board, and explore the peculiarities of dating Colombian women and men!
The foundations of Colombian dating culture
To understand why Colombian dating culture is as it is, we need to dive a bit deeper into Colombian culture and history. I was lucky to live with my close friend, Alex, who welcomed me into his Bogotá residence and introduced me to tons of local girls and guys who were more than eager to talk about themselves. I think that Colombians are as proud of being Colombians as Parisians are.
A historical and cultural overview of the Colombian society
Colombia has been through some tough times. It was first inhabited by indigenous groups, including the Muisca and the Tayrona, which were quite advanced in agriculture and art. But then, Spanish conquistadors arrived. They converted local people to Christianity and brought African slaves. Which resulted in a mix of blood, and now there is not just one beauty type of Colombian woman and man. Also, the county has a rich heritage that reflects its indigenous, African, and Spanish roots.
The role of family, religion, and tradition in shaping Colombian dating norms
The high value of family that Colombian guys and girls have can be seen with a blind eye, and it seems so natural to them. But family, religion, and Colombian dating customs played a significant role in shaping Colombian dating culture. So that’s what it looks like now:
- Family approval is a big thing. Most Colombian women won’t go against the will of their parents. Oh, and they tend to live with their parents before marriage or even after it.
- Religion has a big influence. 73% of Colombians are Catholic, and they follow the religion pretty strictly. Oh, and you can see it even from the language they use, as I’ve commonly heard “Si dios quiere” (God willing) and “Gracias a dios” (thank God)
- Traditional gender roles. Religion also influenced the preference for traditional gender roles division. A Colombian man is expected to be the main provider, while a Colombian woman should cover domestic duties.
Overall, I can say that dating Colombian girls and guys are quite different from Western or European relationships.
The Colombian view on love, romance, and commitment
Though Colombian romance customs are quite traditional in nature, it doesn’t stop local girls and guys from being passionate and expressive in their relationships. The Colombian version of traditional is far from boring!
Once, when I stayed in Medellín, I met a group of Colombian men who welcomed me to have a cup of coffee in their family coffee shop. So I asked them about dating a Colombian girl, and here are the insights:
- Colombian women love attention and grand romantic gestures, like surprise gifts, PDA, and romantic getaways.
- Family is a cornerstone. Though casual dates exist, most Colombian couples have strong emotional bounds and put a high value on trust and honesty.
- I was warned a few times, so don’t even think of having a female friend dating a Colombian girl.
- Many Colombian women, as well as men, marry young (I’ve checked the average marriage age for Colombian women is 22.7 and for Colombian men, 26.8. Oh, and I was shocked to find that, according to these statistics, 23% of girls are married before 18, and 5% before 15).
- You won’t find a large percentage of divorces, even though people marry young. In fact, Colombia is in the top-3 countries in the world with the lowest divorce rate.
It was very interesting to chat with these men about Colombian ladies. I noticed that they are not fans of American women as well as Western girls as they find them too career-driven. However, not all Colombians have such attitudes, as I’ve also talked to men who are intrigued by the idea of having a relationship with someone from another country.
Where to meet a single Colombian woman or man?
Now that you know more about traditional dating a Colombian girl or guy, let’s move on to the most interesting part, which is where you can actually meet and start dating a woman or man from Colombia.
From what I learned being in the country and talking to locals, in Colombian culture, dating online is more popular than meeting a Colombian partner on the streets. But still, people meet both ways.
Online dating in Colombia
According to Statista, 17.6% of people in the country use dating apps and sites regularly, and the number of on-and-off users is probably double that. Both Colombian men and women use dating sites based on their intentions. The most popular types of online platforms among Colombians are:
- Casual dating sites. Platforms for singles who are looking for NSA dates, friends with benefits, or one-night stands.
- International dating services. Popular among singles who are interested in a relationship with foreign men and women from all over the world.
- Mono-national dating platforms. Similar to international sites, but just for dating Colombians or singles from Latin America. There are not many solely Colombian platforms, but quite a lot of services to meet Latin ladies.
- Mail order bride sites. These services can also be international and mono-national. And they are created for foreign men and women who want to date a person from Colombia with serious intentions.
As you can see, the online dating culture in the country is open to a diverse range of romances. In my opinion, it’s great, as it’s as easy to find a person when you just feel lonely and want some fun, as well as when you are ready for something more serious and want your date to be on the same page in life.
|Free Trial Link
Offline dating in Colombia
How fun it was to observe offline dates in Colombia, as the dating culture there is quite different from the Western one. Though the media like to portray French couples as over-the-top romantic, in reality, the majority of dates are quite the same as all over the world—walk, eat, chat, have sex…
But the dating culture of Colombia is full of romance both when people just start dating and when they are married for years. There is something so interesting about the way these positive people search for dates and ensure to actually get the date. I’ve noticed that people choose dating spots based on what type of dates they seek. For example, if a woman or a guy is into something casual, they will go to:
- Bars in the evening
- Salsa clubs
People there welcome others with open arms, and no one expects commitment from such a date.
But those who are interested in regular committed dates pick a bit different locations, like:
- Social gatherings
- Group dates
I believe a man can’t control love, as it just happens. But you need to have quite a strong character to find a date in Colombia offline. Personally, I think that foreigners do better searching for dates online. At least I did, with my lack of Spanish knowledge…
Dating etiquette in Colombia
Before I went on my first date with a gorgeous Colombian woman, I got the most info from my friend, Alex, who has been living in the country for over 10 years. And that’s what he told me (I did my fair share of Googling too).
Cultural norms and etiquette for dating in Colombia
Etiquette in the dating culture of Colombia vary depending on the region, so you need to keep in mind that my friend is from Bogotá. But here are some main cultural norms and advice for dating in the area I noted for me:
- A man must be on time, while a woman can be a little late
- Splitting the bill is not common
- Meeting family early on is a sign of respect and commitment
- You need to wear your “dance shoes,” as moves are in Colombians blood and couples commonly dance together. This tradition is also common in Costa Rica, Mexico, and many other Latin countries
These were quite helpful to me, and I hope that all of you who are also curious about dating a Colombian man or girl will find them useful.
About communication, physical intimacy, and gifts
Here are some extra tips on the rules of communication, the physical aspect of dating a Colombian man or woman, and the tradition of gift-giving.
- PDA and physical touch are very common, yet they should be respectful and not overly aggressive
- Compliments are a big part of any relationship, and Colombians are very generous to compliments
- A typical Colombian relationship usually involves game playing, especially when women like someone a lot
- Exchanging presents is a must not just on big special occasions, like birthdays or anniversaries, but also on smaller dates.
- Love letters are a big thing in almost every relationship.
Going on dates with beautiful Colombian women, I enjoyed every single one. I had a great time chatting with good girls and having a great time with other girls who weren’t so good…I think that I could be dating a Colombian girl long-term!
Challenges of dating in Colombia
All relationships come with challenges, and if you take into consideration the cross-cultural aspect, it might be a bit more difficult. So let’s take a look at some challenges of Colombian dating you may face:
- Language barrier. Many Colombians have bad English. But luckily, Colombian Spanish is the easiest one to understand.
- Machista culture. Machista, also known as Machismo culture, is a very patronized concept of Colombian society that is quite diminishing to women.
- Colombian women and men get jealous easily. If you happen to look at the opposite sex and your partner notices, be ready for some drama.
When I think about challenges, I always remember the part from Journey to the Center of the Earth, “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” So, if you really want to win the heart of a Colombian woman or man, go for it—you have all the chances!
Tips for foreigners on how to meet and date Colombian women or men
As a foreigner, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by dating a Colombian and even more early on when you are just searching for potential dates. So I guess the following tips will be useful for you:
- Explore your options when you want to meet Colombian women and choose a site or app that meets your needs
- Be ready for attention but, at the same time, actively seek a person you want to meet
- Put the effort into your dating profile, add fresh good photos
- Don’t be cocky about your money, as it may attract scammers and people don’t like that in real life
- Learn some basic Spanish. Believe me, it will make your life so much easier.
I hope that these few tips I’ve written down during my time in Colombia will help my foreign friends.
Colombia is different from Europe and America, but that’s what makes it so alluring to foreigners. I had the time of my life in the country, went on great dates, and met so many lovely people. So, can a foreigner get a date in Colombia? Hard yes!
I wouldn’t say that it’s exactly difficult, but it comes with challenges, especially if you know just Hola and Adios.
Colombian culture is more traditional, with strict gender roles and expectations, while Western culture has more blurry roles nowadays.
100%. There are many Colombian women and men open to relationships with foreigners. However, not everyone dreams to marry a foreigner.
To navigate the dating scene in Colombia, choose a reliable dating service, educate yourself on the peculiarities of Colombian dating, and learn some basic Spanish phrases.
I’m passionate about exploring the world, enjoying the best of it, meeting new people, and falling in love. I believe that love and travel are what I was made for. And I’m here to share my story and honest opinions with you!