Dating Thai Women: Where & How to Meet Women in Thailand
My trip to The Land of Smiles might not be the longest one, but I got to enjoy the Thai dating culture from within. I’ve been to hot spots, like Thonglor or Sukhumvit district, ate popular Pad Thai and Tom Yum Goong, and talked for hours with local people who welcomed me with open arms.
I got a chance to meet so many Thai women and men who shared their dating experiences and hardships. Now I know everything and more about relationships in Thailand and am ready to share my knowledge on how to date Thai girls. By the way, many of my tips for Thai women dating can be used for relationships with Thai men as well! So, let’s get it going!
|Female population in Thailand:
|Most popular cities to meet Thai singles:
|Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket
|Best dating site:
|Average age of marriage:
3 Interesting Facts About Thai Women
Here are a few things to know when dating a Thai woman that I’ve noticed.
Most Thai Ladies Have Nicknames
In Thai culture, people frequently have nicknames that differ from their formal names. Thai women, in particular, often have nicknames based on physical aspects or character traits, like Som (orange), Noina (custard apple), or Oy (sugarcane).
Women Are Smarter than Guys in Thailand
If you wonder what are Thai women like, looking at gorgeous Thai women, I think smart won’t be the first thing that pops into your mind. But according to a UNESCO assessment, Thai women are more likely than males to go for postsecondary education and also have greater rates of literacy.
She’ll Take You to Karaoke
Thai women adore singing, and karaoke is a common hobby among Thais. So, don’t be surprised if your Thai date insists on going to karaoke on the first date. After all, it’s going to be fun.
How to Meet a Thai Woman?
When I arrived in Bangkok, I met a group of guys in one of the popular hip bars in Thonglor. The area is known among professionals and ex-pats, and I chose it strategically, as your ThavelingFrenchMan speaks no Thai. These guys, like most Thai women and men, treated me as their good old friend and didn’t mind sharing their tips on dating Thai women. So I’ve got a lot of insights on hot Thai ladies and their preferences, but most importantly, I’ve learned where I can start dating Thai women as a foreigner.
#1. Online Dating Sites & Apps for Dating Thai Girls and Guys
The first thing that each of the 5 guys agreed on was that the most popular way to meet Thai women is online dating.
I didn’t just take their word for granted but did my fair share of googling and found some interesting numbers on singles in Thailand and online dating:
- 75% of local people have been on virtual dates
- 31.68% of Thai ladies and guys use dating sites several times a week
- 61.6% of people in Thailand reported developing a relationship with someone they met online
That’s why the best Thai dating site is definitely the number one place every foreign and local guy searching for a hot Thai woman should consider. The type of Thai dating site you choose depends on your primary dating goals. So here are the main options available at the moment:
- Casual dating sites. This is a place for short-term romances, NSA dating, and easy hookups.
- International dating sites. These help meet not just ladies from Asian countries but singles from all over the world that are interested in long-distance romance, steamy chat, and those who might be searching for something more long-term.
- Mail-order bride dating websites. A dating platform from those can help meet Thailand women who are searching for serious relationships and potential marriage. Mail-order bride sites can be Thailand-specific or have different Asian women.
All of the platforms are popular and convenient and have long been accepted in Thai society. Online dating might be a Western influence, but single Thai girls and guys have harnessed its power!
If you are looking for some recommendations of specific platforms where you can meet Thai girls, check out these 4 sites that were recommended to me the most. Though there are for sure many other dating websites available, I found those to be most effective for foreigners searching for a Thai woman online.
#2. Traveling to Thailand to Meet Thai Women
Another option that my new Thonglor friends mentioned were specific locations in Thailand that are popular among singles in the country. A regular person can enjoy them only by visiting Thailand. So some of the key locations to meet Thai women offline are:
- Shopping malls. Some of the most popular among Thai women are CentralWorld, Siam Paragon, and Terminal 21.
- Parks. Thailand is rich in beautiful parks and different outdoor spaces where young women enjoy jogging, cycling, and other sports. Among the most popular are Lumpini Park in Bangkok and Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden in Pattaya.
- Night clubs. Khao San Road, Sukhumvit Road, and RCA are among Bangkok’s most prominent nightlife districts and hot dating spots to find hot Thai girls.
These are only a few locations I was recommended, and the full list is quite long. But I think that offline dating can work (I even got a date this way), but it’s harder for a foreigner and someone searching for a serious relationship. In fact, it’s much easier to find a match online than to come and visit your Thai girlfriend for an IRL date.
#3. Social Media Apps—Can I Meet a Thai Girl There?
Another option I want to highlight is social media platforms. They are mainly popular among young girls in Thailand, but it’s possible to meet Thai women of all ages on Instagram and Facebook. An average Thai girl posts a lot online, but it takes a lot of time to find someone you like and who is open to international relationships with a foreigner.
I’ve noticed that many women from Thailand whom I approached on Instagram thought that I was not serious. And out of 10 messages and 4 conversations, none of the girls agreed to meet. Yet I think if you put more time into it, it’s possible.
#4. Marriage Agencies & Brokers
Marriage agencies and brokers are popular among foreigners who want to meet Thai women as they help meet partners based on compatibility and do all the searching for you. But such agencies are also popular among Thai parents who are interested in finding the best match for their child. If it’s a reliable agency, it can help find a good wife, though prices can be quite unpleasant.
Do’s and Don’ts of Dating a Woman from Thailand
I made so many notes on insights about dating Thai women that I want to share with all my readers. So here are some main do’s and don’ts.
- Show respect. Being polite, respectful, and avoiding confrontations are important parts of Thai communication style shaped by their history, religion, and customs.
- Be interested in Thailand. You don’t need to cite historical books or local poets to wow your Thai girl, but a genuine interest in the culture will be a huge plus.
- Be romantic and courteous. I’ve noticed that ladies from the country are into big romantic gestures, like surprise dates or romantic getaways. So, be a gentleman and make an effort to add romance to your relationship.
- Don’t treat your girl just like a Thai. Local people hate when they are judged based on stereotypes. I’ve heard too much nagging about it. So, never treat your girls as just Thai and focus on her individuality, personality, and values.
- Don’t touch the head. It’s a weird one, but just don’t do it. The head is a sacred place for any Thai female or male.
- Don’t put pressure on anything. Thailand is a place where people value modesty and care a lot about their reputation, especially since there is a lot of pressure on women. So, regardless if you are with one of the elite or bar girls, don’t be pushy.
Challenges in Dating Thai Women
I was dating a Thai woman for a week, but I had already faced challenges. So let’s take a look at the most common ones.
That wasn’t a big deal for me, as my date, thankfully, was fluent in English (she studied in the US). But talking to other people in Thailand, I felt stupid a lot of times because I didn’t know the language. Not being able to speak any language of the Southeast Asia region was a big pain of mine that led to awkward situations and miscommunications. Can you only imagine how hard it is to meet Thai women offline not knowing Thai?
Modern dating culture in Thailand is different from relationships in France or America, and in many ways, the reason lies in Thai culture. Local people put a lot of value on family and respect and avoid speaking directly about negative things (a common thing in other countries of Asia). It takes time to adjust to those differences and a lot of patience to make it work. But there are many international couples that marry and start a family abroad despite the difficulties.
Gorgeous Thai women are incredibly beautiful and have so many great character traits that make them good matches for Western guys. In fact, I had a few dates with a Thai girl that I will never forget! As I managed to find a date here, so can you! Just don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and create an eye-catching online dating profile!FAQ from Readers About Dating Thai Women
FAQ from Readers About Dating Thai Women
Yes. There are many reasons why ladies from Thailand are into Western men, especially Americans. But the main ones are that US guys take care of their appearance, are more financially stable, and don’t mind more traditional gender roles.
Unlike American ladies, Thai women are not that open about their emotions, and usually, the best you can get is their gorgeous smile (that can mean 100 different things). But you can tell that a Thai lady is into you if she initiates conversations, is attentive to details, and becomes touchy-feely around you.
Yes, it’s surely a great idea! Thai women love flowers, especially orchids, lilies, and jasmine. But when picking a bouquet, make sure that the number of flowers doesn’t multiply by 4, as Thai people have a superstition about it.
I’m passionate about exploring the world, enjoying the best of it, meeting new people, and falling in love. I believe that love and travel are what I was made for. And I’m here to share my story and honest opinions with you!