Where & How to Find Japanese Wife? — 4 Best Places to Meet a Wife in Japan
For 2 months in Japan, I saw many Japanese women, but frankly speaking, my charm wasn’t working as effectively as I expected. And I’m not that unfortunate; you know my French-British genes hit the mark.
And that made me wonder…is it possible to find a Japanese wife as a foreigner, considering that I got that little attention? As usual, I’ve researched the issue a bit and asked several of my new Japanese friends if ladies are into foreign guys at all and where to meet Japanese brides in 2023.
So, here is my deep dive into how to find a Japanese wife. No Holmes is needed this time 🙂
|Female population in Japan:||64.91 million|
|Popular cities to meet Japanese Wife:||Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka|
|Best dating site:|
|Average age of marriage:||29.4|
1. Mail Order Bride & International Dating Sites
What I’ve heard from many Japanese ladies and guys is that online dating sites are the most popular place to find singles. The interesting thing is that there are two categories of platforms suitable for people wondering how to get a Japanese wife:
- International dating sites. These are dating sites that usually offer to meet not just Japanese women but also other women from the region, like Asian women, or ladies from all over the world. Usually, members of such platforms have different dating goals, and only around 10-15% of them are interested in a serious relationship.
- Mail-order bride dating sites. These are quite popular places to find a Japanese wife, as the concept of mail-order bride aligns well with the local Konkatsu phenomenon. Women on such sites are usually called Japanese mail-order brides, and they register there to meet a foreign husband. So, these websites are an easier way to find a girl looking for marriage, but you can’t literally buy Japanese wife there (that’s not legal, not tolerant, and inadequate, as you understand).
I’ve asked a few of my new Japanese friends and a few strangers I’ve interviewed for my blog about what dating sites they would recommend me as a foreigner looking for a Japanese mail-order bride.
I’ve got 20+ recommendations, but the most common platforms that were recommended, and therefore, probably, the best dating sites, were these 4 down below.
2. Traveling to Сountry to meet a Japanese girl
As a diehard fan of traveling, I couldn’t help but recommend visiting Japan. Your trip to the Land of the Rising Sun will definitely be one to remember, and this way, you can meet Japanese brides as well as explore the Japanese culture I literally in love with.
Who should search for Japanese ladies offline?
Going to the country itself to have that romantic bliss of meeting Japanese women in the coffee shop or sakura park will be a good option for:
- Foreign men who are already interested in Japanese mail-order wives and are open to some adventure
- People who are passionate about traveling and have the means for it
- Those who don’t like online dating services and prefer to meet Japanese girls in real life
However, there may be better variants than real-life dating for some people and for some reasons. Who should try other options?
Visiting Japan for a love search is not the best option for
However, dating Japanese women offline is not for everyone. The following groups of Western men should better meet Japanese women online:
- Guys who are not ready to spend a lot on travel, accommodation, and dining, as search IRL may result in a tidy sum…believe me, my bank account wasn’t happy with me staying in the country for a bit over 2 months.
- Shy ones. Guys who get frustrated with making introductions and taking the lead. Japanese women are not Western ladies; they won’t come to you asking on a date (in 99% of cases)
- Those who are not ready to invest time, at least a month. Searching for a Japanese girl you like is not a 5 min thing. Believe me, there are thousands of beautiful Japanese women in Tokyo, Osaka, and Sapporo. But finding a match, let alone who is ready for married life, is a tough nut to crack.
Don’t hesitate to choose other variants to meet someone special if you see yourself among these guys. Luckily, there are many options to choose without unnecessary stress 🙂
When to travel to the country to look for a Japanese wife?
If you still decide to go to Japan, late March to early May is the best season to see the pink and white blossoms. And summer months are best for enjoying festivals and outdoor activities, like the famous Gion Matsuri in Kyoto.
By the way, the beaches in Okinawa and Hokkaido are also popular destinations to meet Japanese women in summer.
What challenges you may face searching for Japanese wives
As I’ve mentioned, despite my French charm, Japanese women weren’t head over heels for me from the moment I looked at them.
But jokes aside, I’d asked people I’ve talked to in Japan what the most common hardships of foreign men searching for a Japanese girl in the country were.
Here is what they told me!
Japanese society and cultural differences
Cultural differences are among the biggest issues. It might be from the top of your head, but misunderstandings and offending your Japanese lady just because you had no idea of some custom can kill any romantic vibe.
And dating culture is also not the same as in the West.
The language barrier can be a real pain. I’m fluent in French and English, and can even speak a bit of German, but many times in smaller cities, I felt helpless without my Japanese guides.
Also, Japanese society is not very Westernized, so many local women just don’t speak English at all.
Translators can help, but it makes communication challenging and makes it hard to create an initial bond, which is very important during the first stages of a relationship.
Challenges of finding a Japanese girlfriend ready to relocate
I’d never thought of it if one of my travel friends didn’t tell me his story.
He is a New York shark who is working in a company that has many board members in Japan. So he had to travel to Japan quite often and sometimes spend more time there than in the US.
He used a local online dating site and went on a couple of dates, as at this point, he spoke some decent Japanese (he is not like me at all; he has the brain for learning the Japanese language and his special charisma of a quite serious businessman).
That’s how he met his “Japanese mail order bride”. They dated for a year, and everything was fine, with its ups and downs. But they broke up because of a very simple thing—his foreign bride was just not ready to leave everything behind (her family members who stayed in Japan, her job, her hobby teachers) and move.
So, if you are going to search for a Japanese wife, make sure that both of you are on the same page about where and how to start your happy married life.
Where to look for a beautiful Japanese woman interested in serious relationships?
Analyzing everything I’ve heard and researched, the best places to look for a Japanese girl interested in finding a foreign husband are:
- Social events and gatherings, like festivals or sports clubs (karate/judo)
- Language schools or hobby clubs
- Volunteer work or community service events
- Art and cultural exhibitions
Yet, from my personal point of view, online dating sites, like those I’ve mentioned before, should lead the rating for foreign men.
Some bonus tips from your TravelingFrenchMan
- Explore so-called izakayas, a fav place of Japanese people after work
- Karaoke bars always have so many sexy Japanese women
- Shopping districts, such as Shibuya and Harajuku in Tokyo or Dotonbori in Osaka, have many young Japanese ladies
- And if you are looking for a trip to the perfect location for the first date, consider Yoyogi Park in Tokyo for a long stroll and then a cute coffee date in Streamer Coffee Company
3. Social Media Apps
Another popular way to find a Japanese wife that is a go-to of many Japanese men, as well as foreigners, is social media apps. Social media culture is thriving in Japan, and most Japanese ladies love posting on their social media platforms.
According to Statista, most Japanese women and men use these social media:
Even though there is a chance you find a Japanese girl you like on Instagram, your chances of finding a future Japanese wife are still pretty low.
Dating through social media doesn’t work for many because they are not Asian mail order brides sites, and they weren’t created for Japanese dating or any dating intentions for that matter.
4. Marriage Agency & Brokers
Japanese wedding traditions have long been connected with the omiai phenomenon, aka arranged marriages. I was really surprised that it still exists, which made me think that it might be an option for guys who want to find a wife in Japanese city.
But before you commit to this option for a Japanese bride search, check out the pros and cons I found in this way of connecting to Japanese beauties.
- You get a personalized and more structured approach (personality/life goals/family views matching)
- You meet Japanese mail order wives who are open to international marriages
- You save time and effort searching for compatible Japanese brides
- There are many Japanese mail order brides fraudulent practices
- Brokers and matchmakers charge big fees for their services
- You might be hit by many “unexpected” fees when searching for your Japanese mail order wife
As you can see, matchmakers and brokers are an option to consider, as I think it might help some to find a Japanese amour, but frankly, I think searching online is cheaper and more effective.
Сonclusion: Is it real to find a Japanese woman for marriage?
Oh yes! From what I’ve learned, many foreign men find beautiful Japanese brides, and their marriages are 50% stronger than among locals in the US.
Though there are so many options to meet single Japanese women, the most effective one for people with the intention of international marriage is online dating websites.
And, of course, as a big lover of exploring the world, I can’t forget to mention visiting Japan. And if you want to really make a smart move, I recommend finding a Japanese girl for marriage online first, and then after some time, when you are sure that everything is rolling, come and visit her.
I’m passionate about exploring the world, enjoying the best of it, meeting new people, and falling in love. I believe that love and travel are what I was made for. And I’m here to share my story and honest opinions with you!